- Improve transportation energy efficiency and reduce emissions through roadway design, traffic operations, and community design and planning
- Advance the use of sustainable fuels, technologies, and energy efficient transportation modes
- Increase understanding of the economic and environmental impacts of renewable fuels and encourage use of sustainable transportation energy sources
- Investigate economic models that encourage more efficient passenger and freight movement
Selected Journal Publications
- Lavrenz, S., K. Gkritza, "Environmental and Energy Impacts of Automated Electric Highway Systems", Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Special Issue on Applications for the Environment and Energy Conservation (under review).
- Rentziou, A., K. Gkritza, R. Souleyrette, "VMT, energy consumption, and greenhouse gas emissions forecasting for passenger transportation," Transportation Research Part A 46(3): 487-500 (2012).
- Ibáñez, E., K. Gkritza, J. McCalley, D. Aliprantis, R. Brown, A. Somani, L. Wang, "Interdependencies between Energy and Transportation Systems for National Long Term Planning", In Sustainable Infrastructure Systems: Simulation, Imaging, and Intelligent Engineering, Springer-Verlag Inc.
- Gkritza, K., I. Nlenanya, W. Jiang, R. Sperry, D. Smith, "Bioeconomy and transportation infrastructure impacts", In Green Energy and Technology: Bioenergy and Bioproducts, Springer-Verlag Inc. (in press)
- Boeckenstedt, R., K. Gkritza, R.R. Souleyrette and S. Nambisan, "Implications of Bioeconomy-based Fuel Production to the Transportation Infrastructure in Iowa", Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2191: 84-89 (2010).
Selected Conference Proceedings
- Aliprantis, D. C., K. Gkritza, D. Wu, J. Brown, J. Gifford, E. Kastrouni, L.G. Marciaga, and J. Slegers, "Sustainability Assessment of Energy and Transportation Infrastructures for Investment Planning", Proceedings of NSF EFRI RESIN workshop, January 13-14, University of Arizona, Tucson (2011)
- Hallmark, Shauna and Abhisek Mudgal. Comparison of Emissions at Roundabouts Compared to Traditional Traffic Control. Proceedings of the 2011 Annual Meeting of the Air and Waste Management Association. Orlando, Florida. June 2011.
- Hallmark, Shauna and Neal Hawkins. Sustainable Speed Management in Small Rural Communities. IEEE Forum on Integrated and Sustainable Transportation Systems. Vienna, Austria. July 2011.