Systematic Identification of High Crash Locations
Wednesday, October 25, 2000, 11:30 AM
- Reg, Zach, Ali, and Keith met with Tom Welch to discuss curve identification
- Zach presented a few examples of selected curvy areas, which included multiple
curves, transition lines, and isolated curves. Keith suggested that only 250
meters before and after PT and PC should be considered as parts of curves.
- Raj will revisit the identified locations and incorporate the suggested
"250 meters influence length" criterion.
- The top 100 locations will be ranked according the current Iowa DOT ranking
procedure. Zach will work on the cost portion of the procedure. A separate
ranking will also be conducted based on crash rates.
- The top 100 locations will be presented for each district and the entire
state on black and white maps as well as verbal description of the locations.
- Ali will update the project's report by November 7 for Tom. Tom would like
to have the report for his November 8th meeting in Washington,
- Ali will document the reasons for ruling out the statistical analysis of
25, 50 meter boxes drawn around the curves. (…because of overlapping of the
boxes and the uncertainty of crash inclusions in each overlapped box)
- A final PAC meeting will be scheduled on the first week of December to review
the contents of the final report.