Systematic Identification of High Crash Locations
Minutes of Project Advisory Committee Meeting - 12/14/00 - 10:00
The third meeting of the HCL PAC was held at 10:00 AM on Thursday, December
14, 2000 at CTRE. The individuals presented were:
- Tom Welch, CTRE
- Bob Sperry, Webster County Engineer
- Bill Schuman, Iowa DOT
- Reg Souleyrette, CTRE
- Ali Kamyab, CTRE
- Keith Knapp, CTRE
- Zach Hans, CTRE
- Raj Basavaraju, CTRE
The purpose of the meeting was to review the final draft report and discuss
future research opportunities.
Reg took the lead to present the general contents of the report (i.e., ranking,
statewide averages, and statistical analysis).
- Tom suggested the following:
- Add the overall fixed-object crash results to an appendix. Currently,
the report contains the ranking for the utility-pole crashes.
- Define statistical terms (e.g, t-statistic, standard deviation, etc.)
- State assumptions and constrains in determination and ranking of high
crash locations at the beginning of the report.
- Email the draft report to the committee members for review.
- Divide the statewide curve ranking into two separate lists: isolated curves
and consecutive curves.
- Study of the paved shoulders will be conducted under a separate contract.
- Reg, Ali, and Zach will visit to discuss the impact of shoulders on head-on
The meeting adjourned at 11:05 AM.