Career Fair for High School Students
October 15, 2008
10 am to 1:30 pm
Iowa State Fairgrounds
Des Moines, Iowa
Maneuvering remote control cars through a work zone.
Getting the feel of a mini excavator.
Checking out the career possibilities at the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Seeing what colleges have to offer for transportation-related academic programs.
This career fair introduces Iowa high school students to the range of exciting career opportunities in the transportation industry. The fair will include a mix of indoor and outdoor hands-on activities.
Indoor activities include
- a look at little known careers in transportation
- an overview of the road construction process, including the types of jobs involved and the salaries they pay
- demonstrations of surveying, fall protection, and safety
- booths with college recruiters and other vendors
Outdoor activities include
- a mini excavator rodeo
- a GPS scavenger hunt using hand-held units
- a railroad simulator
- a truck plow simulator
- remote control cars through model work zones
- construction materials testing center
- motor vehicle enforcement
All activities will be supervised by professionals.
9th–12th grade students in Iowa who are interested in any of the following:
- landscape architecture
- working with people
- working outdoors
- heavy machinery
Teachers, guidance counselors, and parents are also welcome.
Students will be divided into 2–4 equal groups and move from activity to activity throughout the day on different schedules.
Activities in bold are at the same time for all students.
|9:30–10:00||Registration, packet pick-up|
|10:00–10:30||Little known careers in transportation|
|10:30–11:00||Overview of the road construction process|
|12:00–12:15||Lunch (free pizza)|
|1:15–1:30||Wrap-up, Evaluations, Door Prize Giveaways|
Admission and lunch will be provided free!
Registrations must be received by October 8.
Contact Chris Albrecht at 515-294-7684 or email@example.com.
Several public and private agencies are sponsoring this event: